DDMD

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 20:31:44 PDT 2011

On 6/12/11, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> Actually, what I meant was this: DDMD is currently based on DMD 2.040. Ie,
> ATM, it's DMD 2.040 ported to D. You said you were trying to use the 2.053
> backend with DDMD, so I was just wondering if you were also updating DDMD
> frontend to be a D port of something newer than 2.040.

Yeah now it hit me what you meant. First I was trying to build with
2.053, which works now (and I can see you've made an update which
allows building with 2.053, that's great!).

Then I've tried building DMD 2.053 as a library to link it with DDMD.

With a few changes in bridge.cpp and elsewhere that actually works, so
I can build ddmd.exe. That's good news, but it does segfault at
runtime, and when it doesn't it can't  compile much (or any) D code
since it will choke on anything in std/druntime that doesn't work with
2.040. That's kind of obvious though. :)

The next step is to diff DMD frontends 2.040 and 2.053, and port these
to DDMD. I can see from the directory diff that this will take quite a
bit of work.

But I don't know who is working on what? From posts around here I've
seen a mention of someone overhauling DDMD to use the GC, and Nick
seems to work on his own code injection mechanism. It seems like there
will be duplicated work unless we all know who is doing what.

Me, I'd like to start doing diffs and slowly porting the old frontend
to the newest one (2.053). But maybe someone is already doing that
work.. hard to tell when there's no organization.