64 bit DMD binary on the Mac

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 28 12:42:42 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-28 12:11, KennyTM~ wrote:
> On Jun 29, 11 02:43, Walter Bright wrote:
> > Although DMD on the Mac can currently only generate 32 bit binaries, the
> > Mac as I understand it can run 64 bit code.
> >
> > Is there any reason that DMD itself should be a 32 bit app? Are there
> > any 32 bit only Macs out there we should support?
>
> With universal binary there's no need to worry about it anyway. Just
> pass '-m32 -m64' to gcc. However, I see little reason making DMD itself
> a 64-bit executable.

For at least some of the same reasons that Linux users want a 64-bit dmd
binary (though obviously not all, since the universal binary solves some of
the distro-related problems). For instance, to make it less likely to run out
of memory - particularly when you're using a lot of templates. Once dmd
actually becomes smarter about handling memory, it won't be as big an issue,
but at this point, it really isn't all that hard to get dmd to run out of
memory on a 32-bit system.

- Jonathan M Davis