64 bit DMD binary on the Mac

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jun 28 15:22:13 PDT 2011

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:iudbma$1d9k$2 at digitalmars.com...
> On 6/28/2011 12:11 PM, KennyTM~ wrote:
>> With universal binary there's no need to worry about it anyway.
>
> It's not what I'm asking, I'm asking if there is any reason at all to ship
> a 32 bit dmd binary?

To not encourage people to accidentally end up writing code that's so
ctfe/template-heavy that it won't compile with a 32-bit DMD? I don't mean
that as a snide remark, just a practical consideration.

Plus, in the same way that 64-bit DMD can help shake out 64-bit bugs, 32-bit
can help shake out memory-usage problems.

OTOH, It seems to be pretty typical, standard, accepted practice in the
Apple world for older machines to get abandoned *very* quickly, so maybe
32-bit is already needless on Mac?