Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:42:36 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Jimmy Cao" <jcao219 at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1263.1309305438.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM, James Fisher
> > <jameshfisher at gmail.com>wrote:
> >

> >> Though the site at http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango gives no
> >> indication of that and still evangelizes migration from Phobos to Tango.
> >>  Are there people that would disagree with your assessment?
> >>

> > The tango homepage will never say something like, "D1/Tango is dead,
> > everyone migrate to Phobos!"  If you look at the history of D, back in
> > 2006
> > or 2007 when the system for requesting improvements and bugfixes was
> > rather
> > messy and Phobos was increasingly incompetent as a standard library, part
> > of
> > the community decided to work on replacing Phobos and make a better
> > library
> > for the community and driven by the community.  So that was how the Tango
> > community started, and that community stayed with D1 when D2 was
> released.
> >
> > Both communities exist today, I guess, but the D2/Phobos community has
> > grown
> > the most, and D1/Tango community has shrunken (it's been years, the fact
> > that there are still some D1/Tango users means that Tango really is a
> fine
> > library).  Phobos has improved ,also, and the transition to github has
> > helped it a lot.  Your best bet is Phobos - its development is very
> > active,
> > and it is poised to clearly become the best standard library.
> >

> And even if Tango does get ported to D2 (As I've heard some people are
> working on), it'll most likely be a suppliment to Phobos, rather than the
> "one or the other" issue it was on D1. (That's what druntime is for.)

OK.

1.  One of the most pleasingly surprising tech stories I've heard for years
was the merging of Rails and
Merb<http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2008/12/23/merb-gets-merged-into-rails-3>,
two large separate Ruby web frameworks with the same problem domain.  It was
surprising because in the OSS world there's a nasty habit of all projects
being a fork of something else, almost never a merge of two previous
projects.  I figure all it took was some strong discussion.  BTW, the choice
of stdlib is not obvious to the new user of the language, and the "just let
it die" attitude makes things confusing.  This SO question from
09<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/693672/d-standard-library> (was
the choice considered a non-issue then?) for instance recommends Tango.

2. I suppose, once a package manager is in place, this issue will fade as
Tango can be meted out into smaller packages.