Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

James Fisher jameshfisher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 07:09:09 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Ary Manzana <ary at esperanto.org.ar> wrote:

> There are many tools to syntax highlight code using HTML. Making the
> compiler (or some part of it) do it is... hmmm... it's not the compiler's
> job!
>
> Come on, it's not that hard to highlight with an external javascript (Nick
> Sabalausky, please no comments :-P :-))

GP.

As someone else pointed out, the documentation for Phobos (or any library)
> could be in a different subdomain without having to deal with the main
> website styles or antyhing. And you can do the main website with another
> framework.

A related thought here: are we aware of GitHub site hosting?  AFAICT
d-p-l.org doesn't use it, so I guess the repo is being pulled to another
server?  As the content is (I think?) entirely static, GH hosting would be
easier, more maintainable, and cheaper.  And no out-of-sync issues -- I saw
a thread today with someone complaining the site hadn't been pulled from GH

For the main site: while I've not used it, I hear GH's inbuilt support for
Jekyll <https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll>, a static site generator, is
great.  It's pretty well
recognized<https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll/wiki/sites>,
completely customizable, and I suspect well within our requirements.  Some
examples of sites built on it:

http://joelbradbury.net/
http://domain51.com/
http://jimeh.me/
http://neilang.com/

Of course, we don't have to use Jekyll, and can roll our own static site.