64 bit DMD binary on the Mac

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Wed Jun 29 09:59:01 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 08:54 -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> I think the original Core 2 Duo was 32-bit. People still use these at work, but they're getting rather long in the tooth. Most of them have failed already (mine did).

Core Duo was 32-bit, Core 2 Duo was 64-bit. (*)

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jun 28, 2011, at 3:27 PM, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
> > On 6/28/2011 3:22 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >> OTOH, It seems to be pretty typical, standard, accepted practice in the
> >> Apple world for older machines to get abandoned *very* quickly, so maybe
> >> 32-bit is already needless on Mac?
> >
> > Are there any 32 bit x86 Mac machines? My several-years-old mac mini is 64 bits.

(*) But just because you have a 64-bit processor doesn't mean you can
run a 64-bit OS.  Mac OS X selects whether to be 32-bit or 64-bit not on
the word width processor, but on the word width of the boot PROM.  So my
Core Duo Mac Mini is happily 32-bit, but my Core 2 Duo MacBook has a
hell of a time since Mac OS X says 32-bit and the processor says 64-bit.
One can only assume Apple assume that anything over 3 years old is
broken and already disposed of to be replaced by a new Apple product.
Rant elided.  I'll stick with Debian Testing for most of my work.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk