Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jun 29 13:07:52 PDT 2011

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:iufbc8$22ob$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-06-29 10:29, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 6/28/2011 11:46 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>> I think it makes it hard when most of the pages are written in DDOC.
>>> It doesn't
>>> help to attract web designers.
>>
>> I have no idea what professional web designers use, but I did many web
>> pages using html in a regular text editor.
>>
>> It was awful.
>
> That *is* awful. I use Ruby on Rails with the following languages (and
> what they compile to):
>
> HAML -> HTML
> SASS -> CSS
> CoffeeScript -> JavaScript
>
> And Ruby of course.

I wouldn't mind switching to some "compile down to HTML/CSS/etc" thing, but
all the mature ones I've seen seem to place a strong emphasis on
whitespace-syntax which is something I can't stand. YAML's about the only
place I can really tolerate it (at least in large part because it's purely
optional, and because it's purely a data language (but then, so are HTML and
CSS)). And then there's some other rediculous thing CoffeeScript does...umm,
IIRC, I think it's implicit declarations.