Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jun 29 13:16:58 PDT 2011

"Adam Richardson" <simpleshot at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.1291.1309377741.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> "James Fisher" <jameshfisher at gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.1279.1309339361.14074.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> >
>> > I don't aim to proselytize one mini-language over another, as they're
>> much
>> > of a muchness.  But I'd hope to convince people that:
>> >
>> >   - Besides required functionality, the key reason to choose one
>> >   markup/documentation/html-generating format is popularity.  It opens
>> > up
>> >   development to new users, frees up maintainers of old documentation
>> >   generators, and gives you new tools to use for free.  Markup formats
>> are
>> > one
>> >   area where Might Is Right.
>>
>> Popularity should *never* be a significant concern. That's how we end up
>> with complete shit like PHP becoming widespread.
>>

> Easy :) While I wouldn't use PHP for systems programming, PHP is a solid
> tool for building websites.

It's complete garbage for building websites. It's complete garbage for
*everything*. And I've dealt with PHP and PHP web apps a *lot*. I can't
think of a single other web-oriented tool or language that I wouldn't rather
build a website with than PHP. Even Classic-ASP with VBScript, absolutely
horrid as it is, is at least a somewhat *stable* target.