Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Jun 29 23:48:09 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-29 22:07, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
> news:iufbc8$22ob$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> I have no idea what professional web designers use, but I did many web
>>> pages using html in a regular text editor.
>>>
>>> It was awful.
>>
>> That *is* awful. I use Ruby on Rails with the following languages (and
>> what they compile to):
>>
>> HAML ->  HTML
>> SASS ->  CSS
>> CoffeeScript ->  JavaScript
>>
>> And Ruby of course.
>>

> I wouldn't mind switching to some "compile down to HTML/CSS/etc" thing, but
> all the mature ones I've seen seem to place a strong emphasis on
> whitespace-syntax which is something I can't stand. YAML's about the only
> place I can really tolerate it (at least in large part because it's purely
> optional, and because it's purely a data language (but then, so are HTML and
> CSS)). And then there's some other rediculous thing CoffeeScript does...umm,
> IIRC, I think it's implicit declarations.

All of the above languages (except Ruby) use indentation for scopes.
"implicit declarations" do you mean that you don't have to declare a
variable before you use it? In that case, Ruby has that as well.
Comparing, for example, HAML and HTML, I think that HAML looks cleaner
than HTML.

Anyway, I like them. First I didn't either like whitespace aware
languages but in these cases I like it. But I would never want it in D.

--
/Jacob Carlborg