Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

KennyTM~ kennytm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 07:05:27 PDT 2011

On Jun 30, 11 18:50, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 6/30/2011 1:26 AM, KennyTM~ wrote:
>> Yes it is supported by Sphinx with the :ref:`target` syntax.
>
> Take a look at this:
>
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html#tables
>
> +------------------------+------------+----------+----------+
> | Header row, column 1 | Header 2 | Header 3 | Header 4 |
> | (header rows optional) | | | |
> +========================+============+==========+==========+
> | body row 1, column 1 | column 2 | column 3 | column 4 |
> +------------------------+------------+----------+----------+
> | body row 2 | ... | ... | |
> +------------------------+------------+----------+----------+
>

> I originally did think about doing this for tables in Ddoc. But although
> it looks reasonable, it is unbearably tedious to actually have to type
> in a complex table like this, and even worse to try and change such a
> table. Have you ever tried it? I have. Awful.
>
> Try writing 50 different tables that way.

Right. I agree this is one disadvantage in authoring the document.
Although, in terms of readability, this is much better than

$(TABLE
	$(TR
		$(TH Header)
		$(TH Header2)
	)
	$(TR
		$(TD Body1)
	)
)

> Next, look at:
>
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html#sections
>
> •# with overline, for parts
> •* with overline, for chapters
> •=, for sections
> •-, for subsections
> •^, for subsubsections
> •", for paragraphs
>
> I challenge anyone to remember this table. Heck, I can't even remember
> the C operator precedence table 100%.

That's incorrect. Please read the paragraph above it.

     Normally, there are no heading levels assigned to certain
     characters as the structure is determined from the succession of
     headings. However, for the Python documentation, this *convention*
     is used which you may follow:

> And:
>
> http://sphinx.pocoo.org/rest.html#external-links
>
> .. _a link: http://example.com/
>
> is that really better than:
>
> $(LINK2 http://example.com/, a link)
>
> ?

Some people may think it is, I don't, but you could write it as

     `a link <http://example.com/>`_