Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jun 30 17:19:24 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-30 15:59, simendsjo wrote:
> On 01.07.2011 00:49, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:52:38 +0200, Daniel Gibson
> >
> > <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Keyboards without []? This makes programming nearly impossible O_O
> >
> > And standard Norwegian layout has them on AltGr+8/9. The pain.
> > But using US int'l has the added advantage of confusing the hell out
> > of my cow-orkers when they try to use my confuser (which has thus earned
> > that title :p).
>
> Switch to programmer dvorak and they'll never touch your computer again.

I switched to dvorak _and_ got one of these: http://www.kinesis-
ergo.com/advantage.htm

No one is going to be using my computer with my keyboard. Though honestly, as
much as I like dvorak, I wouldn't advise that anyone switch to it. Too many
programs assume qwerty, so all of their shortcuts are designed for it. Stuff
like the shortcuts for cut, copy, and paste are on completely different places
on the keyboard and don't work as well (only cut can be done with just your
left hand). I had to completely remap vim to be able to use it. Other programs
need their keys or shortcuts remapped to work very well. It just causes
problems for stuff that assumes qwerty. So, it's likely more pain than its
worth. My keyboard is awesome regardless of whether you use qwerty or dvork
though. I can actually type numbers on it without looking, which I could never
do on a normal keyboard, because the keys aren't vertically aligned on a
normal keyboard. It's expensive, but I'm quite happy that I bought it.

- Jonathan M Davis