Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

simendsjo simendsjo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:29:22 PDT 2011

On 01.07.2011 02:19, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On 2011-06-30 15:59, simendsjo wrote:
>> On 01.07.2011 00:49, Simen Kjaeraas wrote:

>>> And standard Norwegian layout has them on AltGr+8/9. The pain.
>>> But using US int'l has the added advantage of confusing the hell out
>>> of my cow-orkers when they try to use my confuser (which has thus earned
>>> that title :p).
>>
>> Switch to programmer dvorak and they'll never touch your computer again.
>
> I switched to dvorak _and_ got one of these: http://www.kinesis-
> ergo.com/advantage.htm
>
> No one is going to be using my computer with my keyboard. Though honestly, as
> much as I like dvorak, I wouldn't advise that anyone switch to it. Too many
> programs assume qwerty, so all of their shortcuts are designed for it. Stuff
> like the shortcuts for cut, copy, and paste are on completely different places
> on the keyboard and don't work as well (only cut can be done with just your
> left hand). I had to completely remap vim to be able to use it. Other programs
> need their keys or shortcuts remapped to work very well. It just causes
> problems for stuff that assumes qwerty. So, it's likely more pain than its
> worth. My keyboard is awesome regardless of whether you use qwerty or dvork
> though. I can actually type numbers on it without looking, which I could never
> do on a normal keyboard, because the keys aren't vertically aligned on a
> normal keyboard. It's expensive, but I'm quite happy that I bought it.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Looks ergonomically "correct", but pretty massive. I've considered
TypeMatrix (http://typematrix.com/) in the past, but I think it's a bit
expensive.

As for dvorak, I'm not quite sure. The keybindings haven't been a large
problem for me. Most programs have mappings based on the name of the
function (o for open), and this isn't a problem. The only vim "problems"
is movement which now requires two hands - but I decided not to remap,
and it hasn't been a problem. Games on the other hand :)

I still switched quite recently, and type very slowly. And my hands
actually hurt more - probably because I'm not used to it. I'm hoping
that dvorak will help on strain in the long run though..