Pretty please: Named arguments

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Mar 1 00:26:37 PST 2011

On Monday 28 February 2011 23:49:56 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-02-28 22:38, Don wrote:
> > But I still don't see the need for this feature. Aren't people using
> > IDEs where the function signature (with parameter names) pops up when
> > you're entering the function, and when you move the mouse over the
> > function call?
> > And if you really want to see them all the time, why not build that
> > feature into the IDE?
> > ("hit ctrl-f9 to show all parameter names, hit it again to hide them").
>
> That's very true. I'm used to that with Descent. On the other hand, I
> don't know how many editors that support this that also supports D.

Unfortunately, D is going to have to become fairly mature before we have much in
the way of really good IDE support. There _are_ options out there, but for the
most part, when programming in D, I expect that the average programmer is
forgoing the majority of benefits that a good IDE provides. So, while IDEs may
help a great deal with certain things in the long run, I wouldn't expect many
people to think that an IDE feature was a decent solution at this point
(regardless of what you're talking about), since they're probably not using an
IDE with such a feature at this point.

- Jonathan M Davis