Pretty please: Named arguments

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 03:20:22 PST 2011

>> But I still don't see the need for this feature. Aren't people using IDEs
>> where the function signature (with parameter names) pops up when you're
>> entering the function, and when you move the mouse over the function call?

You are wrong Don, this is not an argument. The feature is *not* for writing
code, but for reading it (first your own code). Obviously, if you can write
parameter names, this means you know them somehow, lol! The names provide
highly valuable info at /reading/ time.

> Dunno, vim doesn't do that for me currently.  Also, if reviewing code on
> github, there is no ide.

Geany does it, but only for currently open files. Meaning, to have it work when
programming in D, I should have the whole stdlib open in geany tabs... Anyway,
as said above, this feature is 'orthogonal' to the question discussed in this
thread.

I'm fed up with people opposing to features very relevant for code clarity,
which they are not forced to use, and can hardly bother when reading code
themselves. Is the second statement below really that hard to read?
	p = new Point([1,2,3], [3,2,1]);
	p = new Point(color:[1,2,3], pos:[3,2,1]);

Denis