Pretty please: Named arguments

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 03:59:16 PST 2011

> On 2/28/11 12:38 PM, Bekenn wrote:
>> On 2/28/11 5:48 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> One more thing, order of evaluation should still be left-to-right, not
>>> in order of arguments. This means the feature cannot be a syntactic
>>> rewrite (not a big issue, but definitely something to keep in mind).
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> I was thinking that order of evaluation should remain lexically
>> left-to-right at the point of call (that is, in the order the arguments
>> are specified, with any remaining default parameters coming after); is
>> there a reason that would be bad or wouldn't work?
>
> I meant the same as you.

I agree with this. Keeping order makes things simpler, probably helps
implementation of the feature (I guess), and removes nearly nothing imo. Named
params are about helping reading code.

On the other hand, I would like it still be possible to write:
	void f (x=0, y=0) {...}
	f(y=1);

This is unorderd strictly speaking...
(Sorry for my possibly wrong English)