SAL at Microsoft

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Mar 1 04:54:19 PST 2011

bearophile wrote:
> Adam Ruppe:
>
>> Just accept the few kilobytes of unbearable bloat and use writef,
>
> It's not just template bloat, but also the printing bugs not caught at compile time.
> The point of the first post of this thread was to talk about SAL, that Microsoft seems to consider very important. I think this part was missed, focusing only a little part of the whole.

You completely missed the point, I think, bearophile. D is not C.

It is an important C bug. No doubt about that. And it's such a common,
hard to diagnose bug that they have put a massive hack into the compiler
to detect it. Make no mistake, that's what it is: it's a hack. A really
ugly one.

It is not an important D bug. writef doesn't have the problems that
printf does. The ugly hack is not justified.