Pretty please: Named arguments

Bekenn leaveme at alone.com
Tue Mar 1 10:55:25 PST 2011

On 3/1/11 4:52 AM, Max Samukha wrote:
> I hate that "explicitness improves code clarity and readability"
> argument. It may be true in some cases but most of the time explicitness
> creates unnecessary redundancy that actually impairs readability.

Correct.  However, named arguments are not a "most of the time" feature.
  Just look at some Python code, where named arguments have been
supported for a very long time; you'll still mostly see people making
calls using positional arguments, which is as it should be.  Named
arguments are there for when they're helpful, and get out of the way
when they're not.