std.path.getName(): Screwy by design?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Mar 1 14:27:38 PST 2011

"Jesse Phillips" <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ikj3nf$1l0v$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Daniel Gibson Wrote:
>
>> .bashrc doesn't have an extension and is not an extionsion either.
>> The "." at the start is Unix convention to say "this is a hidden
>> file/folder", this means "ls" (the unix equivalent to "dir") doesn't
>
> I don't like this description, it is a configuration file which just so
> happens to have the convention of not being shown.

That's the exact same thing. "not being shown" == "hidden" What else could
"not being shown" mean, if not "hidden"? Obstructed view?

> Linux doesn't have "hidden" files.

That's just like saying "Windows doesn't have hidden files, it just has some
files with a flag that happen to have the convention of not being shown".
Six of one, half-dozen of the other. I'm not a fan of duck typing, but if it
walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and has the DNA of a duck...it
certainly ain't no elephant.