Google Summer of Code

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 3 12:19:52 PST 2011

On 3/3/11 2:08 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Regan Heath wrote:
>> Ok, found the original code. How do I go about submitting it to phobos?
>
> Thanks!
>
> I suggest:
>
> 1. Join the phobos mailing list
> 2. Propose package and module names
> 3. Fork https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos
> 4. Check your original code into your fork under those package and
> module names
> 5. Develop them!
> 6. Issue pull requests
>
> I'm a newbie with github, but I think that is the correct workflow.
> Correct me if I'm wrong!

That's the technical part of it. The bulk of the process is making a
proposal on this group and having the design, implementation, and
documentation discussed and improved following feedback.

If Regan does not have the time to commit to such, he could donate the
code to someone else to take it through this process. Alternatively, if
some components are small enough and of obvious value they can be
adopted without going through a stringent process.

What definitely doesn't scale is Phobos acquiring unfinished pieces of
functionality, knocking them into shape, and subsequently maintaining
them. (Of course, it could happen that someone on the Phobos team does
that, but by doing so the member becomes the virtual owner of that
functionality.)

Andrei