GtkD: Dead or Alive?

David Bryant bagnose at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:55:41 PST 2011

Hi Mike, It's good to hear from an official GtkD maintainer that the
project isn't dead!

I understand that GTK 3.0 is supposed to be more amenable to language
bindings than previous GTK versions but don't have any details of how it
achieves this. This is good from a GtkD point-of-view. I think it's
important to have GTK 3.0 support in GtkD early because by the time some
GtkD projects mature GTK 3.0 will be in wide use.

The GtkD repository contains the already generated D bindings. I was
deterred from attempting the generation step myself because it involved
setting up wine and htod. I can't help but wonder how much effort would
be involved in an htod alternative, even if only worked for the
GTK/glib/etc header files, which follow very consistent patterns...

The callback scheme in GtkD is quite simple and I wonder if you've
considered anything more elaborate? Gtkmm leverages a callback framework
called libsigc++. It allows fancy things like binding arguments to
callbacks, amongst other things.

Would you like help working on GtkD? I will have another go at setting
up wine/htod and performing the code generation step. Then I will
attempt to understand how that step works.

Regards,
Dave