Google Summer of Code

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 3 16:25:44 PST 2011

On 3/3/11 6:10 PM, jasonw wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu Wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/11 3:48 AM, Jens Mueller wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> Trass3r brought it up and I think it's a very good idea. D is lacking
>>> some man power. The mentoring deadline is 11th of March. There are
>>> important and interesting projects students may work on.
>>>
>>> I'm writing this post seeking answers to
>>> 1. What's the "official" D stand on this matter?
>>> 2. Are there already students who have time and would like to join? What
>>>      are you interested in?
>>>
>>> The first question is currently the more important one. The organization
>>> administrator has to submit an application until the above deadline.
>>> The purpose of the second question is to get some feedback whether it
>>> would be worthwhile to submit an application. Because later on students
>>> need to propose/join a project.
>>>
>>> Jens
>>>
>>> PS
>>> The FAQs on http://code.google.com/soc/ is very helpful.
>>
>> Thanks for this idea. I plan to submit an organization application. As
>> of now I'm unclear whether Digital Mars would be the best organization
>> to apply, as opposed to an unincorporated "d-programming-language.org"
>> entity. I'll discuss this with Walter. All, please chime in if you have
>> related experience.
>>
>> We have a number of good projects to work on:
>>
>> * XML library
>>
>> * Networking library
>>
>> * IDE
>>
>> * Lexer/parser generator
>>
>> * Containers
>>
>> * Encryption/hashing
>>
>> * Thrift bindings
>
> What is Thrift? I read it's a Facebook technology which would benefit
> your career, not D especially.

(Not speaking on behalf of Facebook.) That's not reading, it's reading
plus speculating. Also, there are two mistakes. One, Thrift is an open
source technology used outside Facebook. Second, with me on board,
Facebook is possibly more likely than other influential companies to try
out D. If Facebook does start using D systematically (and availability
of Thrift bindings is an essential ingredient), then a lot of companies
will take notice.

> Not trying to be political, but as we
> know Facebook and Google are competing enemies. Why do you think
> Google would support some Facebook project financially?

I don't think they'd put things that way, but then I don't know.

> Why not write D-Bus bindings? D-Bus is the de facto protocol on all
> modern open source operating systems. About as important as COM or
> CLR. COM is supported by D. Why not D-Bus? D-Bus is politically
> neutral technology.

As long as we're just enumerating possible projects, sure.

Andrei