GtkD: Dead or Alive?

Mike Wey mike-wey at example.com
Fri Mar 4 11:38:49 PST 2011

On 03/04/2011 12:55 AM, David Bryant wrote:
> Hi Mike, It's good to hear from an official GtkD maintainer that the
> project isn't dead!
>
> I understand that GTK 3.0 is supposed to be more amenable to language
> bindings than previous GTK versions but don't have any details of how it
> achieves this. This is good from a GtkD point-of-view. I think it's
> important to have GTK 3.0 support in GtkD early because by the time some
> GtkD projects mature GTK 3.0 will be in wide use.

I haven't looked at it jet, but if it offers better support for language
bindings that would be great.

> The GtkD repository contains the already generated D bindings. I was
> deterred from attempting the generation step myself because it involved
> setting up wine and htod. I can't help but wonder how much effort would
> be involved in an htod alternative, even if only worked for the
> GTK/glib/etc header files, which follow very consistent patterns...

htod shouldn't be needed, at one point the code generator generated some
opengl headers, but those are only used for the demos, and generating
the opengl headers is currently disabled in the generator.

> The callback scheme in GtkD is quite simple and I wonder if you've
> considered anything more elaborate? Gtkmm leverages a callback framework
> called libsigc++. It allows fancy things like binding arguments to
> callbacks, amongst other things.
>
> Would you like help working on GtkD? I will have another go at setting
> up wine/htod and performing the code generation step. Then I will
> attempt to understand how that step works.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Help would be nice, i should probably write down some of the idea's i have.

--
Mike Wey