Naming convention in Phobos

Jim bitcirkel at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 02:59:25 PST 2011

Okay, so there's a discussion about identifier names in the proposed std.path replacement -- should they be abbreviated or not?
Should we perhaps seek to have a consistent naming convention for all identifier names in Phobos?

Some of the potential benefits:

• Legibility, understandability and clarity (reduce ambiguity).
• Ease in finding a suitable function/class by name.
• Knowing if it's a cheap or costly function call.
• Aesthetics and professional appearance.

Some properties that I can think of for discussion:

• Abbreviation (and if so, what to abbreviate and how much)?
• Preference of commonly used terms in other languages, contexts?
• Use of get and set prefixes or not (getName() or simply name())?
• Explicit use of a prefix (example: calc or calculate) for costly operations?
• Naming of function and template arguments?
• Uppercase, lowercase, camelcase, underscore in multi-word names? All caps for constants, or different appearance for different types (types, functions, arguments, constants...). What about acronyms: TCP, Tcp?

Are there other concerns?