Naming convention in Phobos

foobar foo at bar.com
Sun Mar 6 07:27:06 PST 2011

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> "Jim" <bitcirkel at yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:ikvped$1o35$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Okay, so there's a discussion about identifier names in the proposed
> > std.path replacement -- should they be abbreviated or not?
> > Should we perhaps seek to have a consistent naming convention for all
> > identifier names in Phobos?
> >

> > Some of the potential benefits:
> >
> > • Legibility, understandability and clarity (reduce ambiguity).
> > • Ease in finding a suitable function/class by name.
> > • Knowing if it's a cheap or costly function call.
> > • Aesthetics and professional appearance.
> >

> > Some properties that I can think of for discussion:
> >
> > • Abbreviation (and if so, what to abbreviate and how much)?
> > • Preference of commonly used terms in other languages, contexts?
> > • Use of get and set prefixes or not (getName() or simply name())?
> > • Explicit use of a prefix (example: calc or calculate) for costly
> > operations?
> > • Naming of function and template arguments?
> > • Uppercase, lowercase, camelcase, underscore in multi-word names? All
> > caps for constants, or different appearance for different types (types,
> > functions, arguments, constants...). What about acronyms: TCP, Tcp?
> >
> > Are there other concerns?
>
> I think that every individual variable, function and type in Phobos should
> use the naming convention of whatever random language the author happened to
> be thinking of when they wrote it. That way Phobos won't seem messy. Plus,
> the lack of any sensible rules would make it super-easy to remember all the
> different spellings, punctuations and capitalizations.

I would also add to the above excellent point that in order to prevent unworthy people of programming in the holly D programming language we must require every D programmer to be fluent in English, Latin and Greek (including cultural references to movies and such), have *at least* expert Unix hacking credentials, have a certified MSFT engineering diploma, be Guru level programmers in all of the following: c, c++, Haskell, Perl, APL, LISP, ALGOL and COBOL.
AND, lest we forget, they must code ONLY in a terminal based text-editor with 80 character wide lines.