Proposal for std.path replacement

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Mar 6 17:06:01 PST 2011

On Sunday 06 March 2011 16:54:41 spir wrote:
> On 03/07/2011 01:44 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> >> I think whatever you choose will not please everybody, so just choose

> > I agree with Lars on this one. Everyone knows what an extension is. It's
> > a universal concept even if it's not used as much on non-Windows OSes.
> > There _are_ plenty of programs in *nix which use it internally (likely
> > because it's a lot easier than dealing with mime type) even if they
> > shouldn't.
>
> eg: numerous compilers, programming editors,... ;-)

The one that really bit me IIRC was Audacious. I had some newly ripped music
files which it wouldn't play.  As it turns out, the problem was that I had had to
redo the settings on my ripping program shortly before, and I had forgotten to
put the extension in the file name, so the newly ripped files had no extensions,
and Audiacious apparently used the extension to determine whether it could play
a particular file. So, of course, it wouldn't play my files, since they had no
extensions. Unfortunately, it took me quite a while to figure that out, and I
ended up on a bit of a wild goose chase in the interim...

This reminds me. I should look into mime types one of these days to see what the
appropriate way (if any) would be to put support for them in Phobos. It would be
nice to not have to go by extension for the few programs that I have which have
to worry about file type.

- Jonathan M Davis