Using map instead of iteration

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Mar 6 17:20:33 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis:

> I'm sure that part of the problem is the fact that a .. b is also used in
> slicing, where it does not mean the same thing

It means the same thing, with a interval literal.

> - that and iota works just fine,

Currently it has a design bug that I've underlined.

> and increasingly, Andrei and Walter seem to prefer having stuff in the library
> rather than the language itself when there's no significant gain to be had by
> putting it in the language.

The gain is simplifying the language, removing the special cased syntax of foreach and switch and opSlice, and more, and replacing them with something more general, more polished and generic, that allows more usages and more runtime efficiency. This makes D look less like a pile of special cases and more like a designed language. So you are quite off-mark.

See my recent answer:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=131378

Bye,
bearophile