Proposal for std.path replacement

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Mar 6 22:09:22 PST 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2280.1299459971.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...

> This reminds me. I should look into mime types one of these days to see
> what the
> appropriate way (if any) would be to put support for them in Phobos. It
> would be
> nice to not have to go by extension for the few programs that I have which
> have
> to worry about file type.

I'm no unix expert, but my understanding is that mime types in the
filesystem don't even exist at all, and that what it *really* does is use
some complex black-box-ish algorithm that takes into account the first few
bytes of the file, the extention, the exec flag, and god-knows-what-else to
determine what type of file it is. Contrary to how people keep making it
sound, mime type is *not* the determining factor (and cannot possibly be),
but rather nothing more than the way the *result* of all that analysis is
represented.