LLVM 3.0 type system changes

Jason E. Aten j.e.aten at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 22:56:59 PST 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM, filgood <filgood at somewhere.net> wrote:

> Btw, what is the status of the D2 LLVM compiler?

Here are my impressions. I might title this short collection of thoughts,
"LDC2 - one user's early experience."

With alot of caveats, my experience as a user of D2 LLVM (which has been
only over the last week) has been good.  This is very subjective, and not
very scientific, but my two cents are: LDC2 is in impressive shape.  But I'm
new to D as well, so I'm not a very good judge of these things.

And here are the caveats: I personally have written only 8-line toy programs
with it.  LDC2, as far as I know, only does linux. But it does do linux64
(and I assume 32, but I've only tried 64).  It doesn't do anything else as
far as I know. I tried OSX and there's a bunch things that need careful
attention before that version will fly.

There's not very good documentation on building LDC2, and figuring out how
to build involved getting help on the chat group. But they are very
helpful.  When I asked Alexey about the gc issues he had mentioned (on a
wiki...maybe, I don't recall exactly), he wrote back and said that those
issues were now fixed.  Many of the optimization levels don't function, but
those should be trivial to fix.

The build instructions are pretty out of date and the makefiles aren't
really configured right, but after mucking with it for a bit, I got it to
build. If you can get it to build, it compiles druntime and phobos. That is
fairly impressive.  It showed good (not 100%, but good) conformance when
compared with the dmd2 output on a 100 test subset of the runnable category
of tests from https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd. I don't know
how comprehensive that test suite is, but it reassured me enough to continue
to work with
the compiler.

Alexey Prokhin--as the current lead developer--deserves applause, loud
applause, for his work on LDC2.

Thank you Alexey!  This is very nice work.

- Jason