LLVM 3.0 type system changes

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 07:15:26 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Steven Schveighoffer <schveiguy at yahoo.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 09:33:19 -0500, Caligo <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Bernard Helyer <b.helyer at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> based

>>> I know about Dil. aziz is great, the project is great. However, I know
>>> and want to use D2/Phobos. Plus, if I'm going to spend years on a
>>> project, I may as well use stuff I like. Furthermore, SDC didn't start
>>> out as a full compiler. Just playing around with lexing/parsing D. NIH
>>> syndrome, too.
>>>

>> I was aware of your "NIH syndrome", and that's why I have a problem with
>> this.  The main reason you are doing this is to serve your own needs, to
>> make yourself feel good, to earn some kind of recognition, but not to
>> serve
>> the community in any meaningful way.  Even if the project fails, it will
>> look good on your resume because you took the time to develop a compiler.
>> This kind of behavior is very common in the FOSS community, and it has
>> become a disease.  It's the reason why there are thousands of dead
>> software
>> projects that were never completed and maintained.
>>

> Hindsight is 20/20.  How selfish of Linus Torvalds to create Linux instead
> of contributing to FreeBSD or Hurd.
>
> The thing is, this "disease" is the reason why most open-source projects
> are started.  You can't say the ones that are successes were started any
> differently than ones that are not.  One starts an open source project (in
> most cases) to do something fun, interesting, and maybe create something
> that everyone uses.  Nobody starts them because they know it's going to be a
> success.
>
> What if Dil is completed and LDC is abandoned?  Will you come back here and
> lambaste the LDC developers for not abandoning their *obviously* flawed
> project and joining dil?  Give me a break...
>
> Congrats Bernard on your efforts, I hope you succeed.  We need *more*
> compilers for D, not less.
>
> -Steve

Linux and the Hurd are very different; It's like comparing D and C++, but
I'll bite.  How about all the people that chose to contribute to the Linux
kernel instead of starting a new OS kernel project??  It's because of them
that the Linux kernel is what it is today.  It's because of them that the
project continued to grow and get better.  It's because of them that we
don't have 50 different unfinished and broken OS kernels.