where clause

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Mar 8 07:27:52 PST 2011

On 3/8/11 12:37 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Caligo:
>
>> I don't understand why so many here are obsessed with constantly trying to
>> "improve" D and/or find things that are wrong with the language just so they
>> can come up with a solution.  We've had feature freeze, have we not?
>
> There are several unfinished features and parts in the current D2, so the right thing to do is to work on them and on bugs, instead of piling even more uncooked things on D2. On the other hand, a programming language is an alive thing, if it stops its development, it dies.
>
> People are designing even new C and Fortran features, and they are languages far older than D:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C1X
>
> So new ideas for D3 language, or to fix D2 holes/warts are important.
>
> And language communities too are alive things. If there's no development of new ideas or fun things, the vitality of the community decreases.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

In principle, of course. In practice, there are many nuances.
Suggestions for improvements arising from systematic use of D in large
programs are worth a lot of attention. On the other hand, taking a
program written in idiomatic X, porting it to D, and then noticing that
it doesn't look like the initial program and asking for D to acquire
features from X is sometimes less productive.

Andrei