Pretty please: Named arguments

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Mar 8 12:08:54 PST 2011

On 28/02/2011 21:38, Don wrote:

> But I still don't see the need for this feature. Aren't people using
> IDEs where the function signature (with parameter names) pops up when
> you're entering the function, and when you move the mouse over the
> function call?
> And if you really want to see them all the time, why not build that
> feature into the IDE?
> ("hit ctrl-f9 to show all parameter names, hit it again to hide them").

That's exactly the point I was going to make, as soon as I saw the
question/challenge of "    HRESULT hr = m_Device.Present(null, null,
null, null);

Quick: What behavior does that third argument specify?"

For such a fine grained and common situation, looking that API up
anywhere outside the IDE (such as in a webpage, or in a file in a
filesystem) in any serious development just seems to me very archaic.
But hey, maybe I'm just spoiled by Java... :P

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer