Google Summer of Code 2011 application

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Tue Mar 8 16:21:25 PST 2011

%u wrote:
> > I just submitted an application for GSoC 2011 on behalf of Digital
> Mars. Please review and contribute to the project ideas page:
> > http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GSOC_2011_Ideas
> > Thanks,
> > Andrei
>
> Uh... how helping fix compiler bugs? Could we help with that? I feel
> that's *much* more important than benchmarking, for instance, since it
> doesn't make sense to benchmark something if it has bugs. :\

I have the same feeling. I'd like to see such projects. But I believe
students are more likely to pick feature-oriented projects. The stuff
that sounds cool. Compare: I implemented a Garbage Collector for D that
improved performance dramatically vs. I fixed bugs in the compiler.
I do not think that fixing bugs is less demanding. Actually I do believe
it's more difficult and it is fun. You know the feeling, when you
finally understand what's the cause of the problem and when you know how
to fix it properly.
Do you have an idea for packaging fixing bugs in a way that makes it
look more interesting?

Jens