Google Summer of Code 2011 application

%u wfunction at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:34:00 PST 2011

>> I have the same feeling. I'd like to see such projects. But I
believe students are more likely to pick feature-oriented projects.
The stuff that sounds cool.
> And I wouldn't be surprised if Google as well is also more likely
to accepted feature-oriented projects than bug-fix ones.

Wait, I think I'm confused -- which ones are "feature-oriented
projects" and which ones aren't?

I'm only a single voice, but for my student perspective, I frankly
wouldn't waste my time joining a benchmarking project; however, I
would definitely consider helping get the compiler bugs fixed. After
all, if it's open-source, then students should be able to help
contribute, right? What's the point of restricting the compiler work
to beyond their reach, especially if that's what needs some of the
most help in and especially if they might be more interested in it?