Pretty please: Named arguments

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 8 22:10:10 PST 2011

On 3/8/2011 12:29 PM, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> On 28/02/2011 22:13, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>

>> Dunno, vim doesn't do that for me currently.
>
> I feel tempted to say something very short and concise regarding vim and emacs, but it would require a large amount of
> justification to properly expose such point. I am planning to write a blog post about that, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
>
>> Also, if reviewing code on github, there is no ide.
>>
>> -Steve
>
> A) Should we give any significant weight to very minute and relatively infrequent code reading situations, like
> web-based code reviewing in github or whatever, or reading code in books? I doubt so.
> B) If the pull request is large, it should be near effortless to put those changes in the IDE and review them there.

Personally, I spend _way_ more time reading code (mine or other peoples) than I spend writing code.  Ignoring time, I
also read far more lines/files/whatever code than I write.  I suspect these things are going to vary highly from person
to person and from job role to job role.  Those that primarily produce new applications, tools, websites, etc and do
little maintenance programming will be the polar opposite.

Regarding B, if a pull/review request is large, I'll likely send it back with instructions to break it into small pull
requests.  Or at a minimum a series of small commits.  Gigantic lumps of code (particularly many separable changes all
done at once) are just a bad idea no matter how you arrange it.

My 2 cents,
Brad