Google Summer of Code 2011 application

Jens Mueller jens.k.mueller at gmx.de
Wed Mar 9 02:01:21 PST 2011

spir wrote:
> >>Mars. Please review and contribute to the project ideas page:
> >>
> >>Uh... how helping fix compiler bugs? Could we help with that? I feel
> >>that's *much* more important than benchmarking, for instance, since it
> >>doesn't make sense to benchmark something if it has bugs. :\
> >
> >I have the same feeling. I'd like to see such projects. But I believe
> >students are more likely to pick feature-oriented projects. The stuff
> >that sounds cool. Compare: I implemented a Garbage Collector for D that
> >improved performance dramatically vs. I fixed bugs in the compiler.
> >I do not think that fixing bugs is less demanding. Actually I do believe
> >it's more difficult and it is fun. You know the feeling, when you
> >finally understand what's the cause of the problem and when you know how
> >to fix it properly.
> >Do you have an idea for packaging fixing bugs in a way that makes it
> >look more interesting?
>
> The real issue, I guess, is that fixing bugs (efficiently) require
> getting an intimate knowledge of the app.

That is true. But I believe there are students who are amazingly good at
this. Further there is always the mentor who can give advice and of
course the community. If %u really likes fixing bugs and has enough time
over summer he/she should submit it as a project. To attract more
students for this kind of work one needs a good project description.
That is what I find difficult.

Jens