64bit port for FreeBSD

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 9 02:58:25 PST 2011

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 01:28:43 Gour wrote:
> I've tried to build dmd2-2.0.52 on my newly installed PCBSD 9.0, but
> unfortunately it's not for x86_64.
>
> Any idea when we might find dmd2 for 64 bit port ready?

Do you mean having dmd _itself_ as a 64-bit binary or having dmd _build_ 64-bit
binaries? There are _no_ plans, as far as I know, to have a 64-bit binary for
dmd. As I understand it, Walter doesn't really see much point in doing so (not
to mention, there are plenty of other pressing issues). So don't expect a 64-bit
binary of dmd any time soon.

As for producing 64-bit binaries with dmd, as of dmd 2.052, if you build with -
m64 on Linux, dmd should produce 64-bit binaries just fine. However, I don't know
how well it will work for any of the BSDs.

- Jonathan M Davis