Google Summer of Code 2011 application

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 04:09:02 PST 2011

Am 09.03.2011 09:39, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> On 2011-03-09 00:14, Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Am 08.03.2011 20:37, schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:
>>> I just submitted an application for GSoC 2011 on behalf of Digital Mars.
>>> Please review and contribute to the project ideas page:
>>>
>>> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GSOC_2011_Ideas
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Two (ok, maybe three) IDE related ideas:
>>
>> 1. integration of the profiler (use profilers output to directly jump to
>> related sections in the code, mark time-intensive sections, stuff like
>> that)
>>
>> 2. possibility to show assembly code from (de-)compiled executable
>> inline in source so it's easier for developers who don't know much
>> assembly language to understand how much machine code is generated by
>> their code, possibly creating bottlenecks from harmless-looking
>> statements etc.
>>
>> 3. Any work on IDEs should be for cross-platform IDEs, maybe eclipse DDT
>> or codeblocks. Or maybe somebody could port D-IDE (d-ide.sf.net), which
>> is pretty good as far as I know, to mono so it can be used on other
>> platforms than windows?
>
> Wouldn't it be better to use a platform independent GUI library.

When starting from scratch - certainly.
But if D-IDE should be improved/ported - which currently uses .Net -
mono is probably the best choice (better than rewriting it completely).
Or do you think it should be ported to Qyoto (Qt for C#) or GTK# or
something like that for a more native look and feel?

And if some other IDE should be improved (probably it should be
discussed what specific IDE this should be anyway) then *please* improve
a cross-platform IDE like eclipse DDT or codeblocks (and not, e.g.
Visual D or Posedion, because those are only available on Windows anyway).

Something else to consider: For improvements-of-existing-IDEs the
current IDE developers should probably be involved as mentors.

Cheers,
- Daniel