Google Summer of Code 2011 application

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Mar 9 04:30:24 PST 2011

> I just submitted an application for GSoC 2011 on behalf of Digital Mars.
> Please review and contribute to the project ideas page:
>
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?GSOC_2011_Ideas
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I've added two ideas in the IDE category, for Eclipse. (dunno why this
NG message wasn't sent earlier)

I was thinking if anything related to debugger integration could be
added, but I suspect (from what I recall from my conversations with Ary
a long time ago) that adding Eclipse support for debugger should be
fairly easy (and particularly a lot of code might from Descent might be
reusable, since this is not much related to semantic analysis).

Instead, the greatest effort comes from debugger support itself. In
Linux OSes the situation is fine, gdb works well, but in Windows things
are not so good. There is the ddbg debugger but it is no longer
maintained (I'm not sure how good it still is); there is Mago the Visual
D debugger, but from what I understand it can't properly be used from
the command line (and thus be integrated with other IDEs); and there's
gdb for windows, but that requires compiling and using GDC, which
apparently has a host of issues and problems as well;

I wonder what is the best way to address these issues. I definitely hope
the Windows platform doesn't further become a second-rate target for D
development.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer