Is DMD 2.052 32-bit?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 9 16:30:40 PST 2011

On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 16:23:15 Nebster wrote:

> >> IIRC you have to edit linux.mak to use -m64 instead of -m32.
> >
> > It has worked in the past, but the 64 bit build is not regularly tested.
>
> Does the toolchain compile on windows in 64 bit too?
> It's awesome you're finally starting the transition :)

No. Regardless of whether you could build dmd itself as 64-bit (which is
questionable), the linker is only 32-bit, and since it's written in assembly,
you _definitely_ can't compile that as 64-bit. So, you don't have 64-bit on
Windows - either the dmd binary or the binaries that it produces. And honestly,
I'd be _very_ leery - make that _extremely leery - of using a 64-bit build of
dmd on _any_ OS before Walter actually makes sure that it works as 64-bit and
maintains it as such.

Much as I'd love to have a 64-bit binary of dmd, I don't think that the gain is
even vaguely worth the risk at this point.

- Jonathan M Davis