GZip File Reading

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Mar 9 21:34:29 PST 2011

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 21:10:59 Daniel Gibson wrote:
> Am 10.03.2011 05:53, schrieb dsimcha:
> > I noticed last night that Phobos actually has all the machinations
> > required for reading gzipped files, buried in etc.c.zlib. I've wanted a
> > high-level D interface for reading and writing compressed files with an
> > API similar to "normal" file I/O for a while. I'm thinking about what
> > the easiest/best design would be. At a high level there are two designs:
> >
> > 1. Hack std.stdio.file to support gzipped formats. This would allow an
> > identical interface for "normal" and compressed I/O. It would also allow
> > reuse of things like ByLine. However, it would require major refactoring
> > of File to decouple it from the C file I/O routines so that it could
> > call either the C or GZip ones depending on how it's configured.
> > Probably, it would make sense to make an interface that wraps I/O
> > functions and make an instance for C and one for gzip, with bzip2 and
> > other goodies possibly being added later.
> >
> > 2. Write something completely separate. This would keep std.stdio.File
> > doing one thing well (wrapping C file I/O) but would be more of a PITA
> > for the user and possibly result in code duplication.
> >
> > I'd like to get some comments on what an appropriate API design and
> > implementation for writing gzipped files would be. Two key requirements
> > are that it must be as easy to use as std.stdio.File and it must be easy
> > to extend to support other single-file compression formats like bz2.
>
> Maybe a proper stream API would help. It could provide ByLine etc, could
> be used for any kind of compression format (as long as an appropriate
> input-stream is provided), ...
> (analogous for writing)

That was my thought. We really need proper streams...

The other potential issue with compressed files is that they can contain
directories and such. A gzipped/bzipped file is not necessarily a file that you
can read, even once it's been uncompressed. That may or not matter for this
particular application of them, but it is something to be aware of.

- Jonathan M Davis