"Code Sandwiches"

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Mar 9 22:18:53 PST 2011

"Jonathan M Davis" <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2409.1299728378.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On Wednesday 09 March 2011 13:30:27 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> But why is it that academic authors have a chronic inability to release
>> any
>> form of text without first cramming it into a goddamn PDF of all things?
>> This is one example of why I despise Adobe's predominance: PDF is fucking
>> useless for anything but printing, and no one seems to know it. Isn't it
>> about time the ivory tower learned about Mosaic? The web is more than a
>> PDF-distribution tool...Really! It is! Welcome to the mid-90's. Sheesh.
>
> And what format would you _want_ it in? PDF is _way_ better than having a
> file
> for any particular word processor. What else would you pick? HTML? Yuck.
> How
> would _that_ be any better than a PDF? These are _papers_ after all, not
> some
> web article. They're either written up in a word processor or with latex.
> Distributing them as PDFs makes perfect sense.

They're text. With minor formatting. That alone makes html better. Html is
lousy for a lot of things, but formatted text is the one thing it's always
been perfectly good at. And frankly I think I'd *rather* go with pretty much
any word processing format if the only other option was pdf.

Of course, show me a pdf viewer that's actually worth a damn for viewing
documents on a PC instead of just printing, and maybe I could be persuaded
to not mind so much. So far I've used (as far as I can think of, I know
there's been others), Acrobat Reader (which I don't even allow on my
computer anymore), the one built into OSX, and FoxIt.

> And yes, most of these papers are published in print format as their main
> form
> of release. You're usually lucky to be able to get a PDF format instead of
> having to have bought the appropriate magazine or book of papers from a
> particular conference.

I'm all too well aware how much academics considers us unwashed masses lucky
to ever be granted the privilege to so much as glance upon any of their
pristine excellence.