GZip File Reading

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 07:14:32 PST 2011

On 3/10/2011 9:45 AM, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
> Although I agree this would be nice, I don't think std.stdio.File is the
> right place to put it.  I think a general streaming framework should be
> in place first, and File be made to work with it.  Then, working with a
> gzipped/bzipped file should be as simple as wrapping the raw File stream
> in a compression/decompression stream.
>
> -Lars

Ok, this seems to be the general consensus based on the replies I've
gotten.  Unfortunately, I have neither the time, the desire, nor the
knowledge to design and implement a full-fledged stream API, whereas I
have enough of all three of these to bolt gzip support onto std.stdio.
I guess I'll solve my specific use case at a higher level by wrapping
the C gzip stuff for my DNA sequence reader class, and let someone who
knowns something about good stream design solve the more general problem.