"Code Sandwiches"

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Mar 10 07:24:38 PST 2011

On 3/9/11 11:49 PM, spir wrote:
> pdf is a printing format (a poor one,
> according to typo professional, please ask); nothing else.

This is rather surprising given that Addison Wesley uses pdf throughout
as their publication format. Other publishers I talked to do the same,
and so do smaller publishers (including shops such as Kinko's). So yes,
I'd be curious.

> Also, nowadays, it's no more necessary to use ps or pdf to get (correct)
> printing. Nearly anything can be composed and printed as is.

What do you mean by "as is"?

> An
> exception may be complex math formulas (in latex indeed). Even then, one
> can precompose them into plain graphics.

You mean raster graphics? That would suck pretty badly. Or instead
vector graphics? But then the question remains how you represent the
symbols, and you're back to the issue of embedded fonts, at which PDF is
quite adept.

Andrei