"Code Sandwiches"

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 11 13:21:47 PST 2011

"lurker" <a at a.a> wrote in message news:ile1fe$2i8q$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> On 3/9/2011 10:18 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> > They're text. With minor formatting. That alone makes html better. Html
>> > is
>> > lousy for a lot of things, but formatted text is the one thing it's
>> > always
>> > been perfectly good at. And frankly I think I'd *rather* go with pretty
>> > much
>> > any word processing format if the only other option was pdf.
>>
>> I used to use HTML for presentations. Frankly, it was terrible. The text
>> was
>> rendered badly, especially when blown up on a screen. I could never get
>> it to
>> look right

What specifically was done badly?

>> I switched to pdf presentations, and they worked great and looked great.
>> The pdf
>> viewers would render text that looked great blown up. The pdf was all in
>> one
>> file, meaning I could email it to someone and they could look at it
>> directly
>> from their mail program. I would bring backups on a thumb drive so in
>> case my
>> laptop was busted/stolen by the TSA, I could run my presentation on
>> anyone's
>> computer.

Well, PDF's are designed for a page-by-page medium, and presentation slides
do fit that bill, unlike documents.

> This can't be true! Walter defending inferior semi-standard formats. PDF
> doesn't even have as nice transition effects as powerpoint or new jQuery
> using presentations stored in the cloud services.

Ugh. Transition effects are cheesy. (Hollywood avoids them for a reason.)

> Your thumb drives break anyway once a year so I'm in favor of a
> subscription model for the cloud.

I've never had a USB drive or an SD card die on me. And I've been using the
cheap no-name ones from MicroCenter. Maybe you're just using *really* bad
ones or being rough on them? Or spend time near strong em fields?

I'm going to try to refrain from saying anything about "the cloud". Don't
really feel like another big debate, atm.