std.datetime questions

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 11 19:34:26 PST 2011

On Friday, March 11, 2011 19:18:21 Nicholas wrote:
> Thanks for the information.  I'll play with it when I'm at work again and
> then report my findings.
>

> In the interim, my timezone is EST.  I used TimeZone America/New_York on
> 32-bit WinXP SP 3.

I assume that you were using WindowsTimeZone then?

> Overall, the library seems like it offers a lot.  I found a glaring bug in
> std.date as well with EST, which was more harmful than the ones I mentioned
> now.

Yeah. std.date is pretty broken. So, there hasn't really been even a decent
solution for date/time stuff in Phobos for a while, but std.datetime should fix
that. And it's definitely designed in such a way that it's at least _supposed_ to
handle time zones really well and fairly painlessly. Only time and usage will
tell how good the design really is though. I think that it's quite solid
overall, but I'm not about to claim that it's perfect. And while bugs in it
should be rare given how thoroughly tested it is, I'm not about to claim that
there definitely aren't any. Definitely report any that you find.

If I have time, I may mess around with America/New_York a bit this weekend and
see if anything obvious pops up. Glancing at WindowsTimeZone, I see that it's
missing some unit tests, so I definitely need to add some, regardless of whether
there's currently anything wrong with it.

- Jonathan M Davis