"Code Sandwiches"

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sat Mar 12 15:23:18 PST 2011

On 3/13/11 12:14 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Doesn't matter, he's still constructed a blatant strawman. Those three
> things I mentioned, plus the fact that he's using maximum contrast, all make
> text harder to read *regardless* of positive/negative contrast. And
> *despite* that, he's still using those tricks in his attempt to "prove"
> something completely different (ie, that light-on-dark is hard to
> read/look-at and shouldn't be used). It's exactly the same as if I made
> chicken noodle soup with rotted rancid chicken, tossed in some dog shit, and
> then tried to claim: "See! Chicken makes food taste terrible!" ("But you
> used bad ingredients..."  "Well excuse me for trying to clearly demonstrate
> the effect!")
>
> Even if it weren't a strawman, it's still exaggerated and unrealistic - and
> demonstrating that an excess of something is bad does not indicate that
> ordinary usage is bad (salt and fat are perfect examples).

Calm down, this isn't a religious war or something, at least not for me.
If you want to try to prove everybody else »wrong«, feel free to do so,
but I just picked that example because it neatly illustrates the effect
I experienced when I was experimenting light-on-dark color schemes in my
text editor/IDE…

David