Derailed (Was: "Code Sandwiches")

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Mar 12 19:19:28 PST 2011

"Andrej Mitrovic" <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2479.1299981498.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>I wish all apps followed a defined standard and allowed us to set all
> applications to use dark backgrounds at once.
>
> On Linux you can't even set the cursor blinking to be the same for all
> apps. Either it's a GTK/KDE/XF/Whatever-specific setting, or you have
> to hunt down some configuration file

Hear hear! And I thought Linux/Unix was supposed to be the world of
standards. Even on standards-inept Wndows, we have standardization for that
sort of thing. Or at least we used to, until we got invaded by non-native
toolkits and apps with non-optional skins. (...grumble, grumble...)

> Sometimes it ends up being in xml
> format, so you have to read the manual on how to configure an app..,
> and this was for a hex editor. Geeeez.

A hex editor with XML configuration...That's just deliciously ironic.

> Someone wrote a freakin manual on how to set cursor blinking for each
> app they could think off:
> http://www.jurta.org/en/prog/noblink

Wow. I thought it was just me who found that blinking distracting. I've
never actually thought to turn it off though. Maybe I should try that.

> Ridiculous. And then Windows is a pita. Right! Commence thread derailment.
> :-P

Why stop at just one derailment? (   :)   )  I'm gonna sabatage the other
track, too:

>From that link: "To stop the cursor from blinking in Micro$oft Windows
applications:"

I certainly can't object to the idea of MS being evil (what large
corporation isn't?), but the whole "M$"/"Micro$oft" thing is just downright
juvenille. Not to mention it smacks of l33t-speak. What is this, the 90's?
("Yes, we know you don't like MS. Nobody does. Now quit being deliberately
dumb.") It's the internet meme equivalent of pants "sagging" - the obnoxious
fad that just won't die.