Derailed (Was: "Code Sandwiches")

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 20:10:50 PST 2011

On 3/13/11, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> snip

OSX is a nice OS. I gave it a try once or twice. The OS is nice, but
man, when I started looking for software on the web I almost got sick.
"Top 10 software for Your Mac", "5 Apps that will make your Mac
Experience Awesome!", "This app will make you feel a Better Mac
Person". "You deserve Beautiful Mac Software".

Ugh.. It's like every single app has a 10$ price tag and it's all
about selling bullshit with pretty words hidden behind colorful
websites. There was a text editor that had this one major feature:
Full screen mode with black side-bars. That was it. Nothing else, just
a text editor with black bars on the side running at full-screen. And
there's a whole website devoted to how awesome and inspiring and
unique this is, how it "helps you focus". And a price tag. People buy
this shit, it's unbelievable.

There was also this thread on Reddit with a guy making some
window-management software. All it did was divide the screen and
resized the windows and put them side by side or something. And
apparently this was so awesome everyone started yelling "Take my
wallet NOW!!!". Same thing happened on ycombinator.

I know of at least Autohotkey which came out in 2003 with which you
can do window management with ease. Hotkeys, keyboard or mouse, or add
buttons to your taskbar that do whatever you want with your windows.
There's an entire community devoted to writing all sorts of cool
window management scripts, and that's just one small feature of this
app. But apparently this Mac software that resizes windows is
revolutionary, comes with a price tag and everyone thought it was the
best thing that ever happened.