If invalid string should crash(was:string need to be robust)

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 01:05:45 PDT 2011

On 03/14/2011 07:55 AM, ZY Zhou wrote:
> Thank you Jussi,
>
> But still this is not part of the standard, U+FFFD is a commonly used approach,
> while the U+DC80..U+DCFF is also a common solution for
> that(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utf8#Invalid_byte_sequences), different approach
> solve different problems.

I am surprised of some of your very affirmative statements (all along the
thread). None of the string processing libs I have met use the approach you
propose here, which is replacing invalid input by other invalid data (surrogate
values). On the other hand, the replacement character (0xFFFD) evoked by Jussi
(which I also proposed in a previous post) is a valid Unicode code point; same
for free user-avalable areas.

> I think the current problem in D is that std.utf module is ill defined, it's not
> designed to make developer's life easier. It just make the developers to ignore
> the case that utf8 string can be invalid.

On the contrary, D perfectly deals with invalid input by signalling it to you
programmer. It is not ignored, which would be the worse approach. What to do
with invalid input belongs to your application's logic (as pointed by
Jonathan); you are demanding D standard libs to do your job at your place,
exactly the way you want it, using an incorrect approach.

Denis