How do you debug DMD?

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Mon Mar 14 04:09:28 PDT 2011

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 05:53:42 -0000, %u <wfunction at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I tried using Visual Studio to set breakpoints in DMD and everything
> (after compiling with -g), but it said that the source file is a
> "different version" (it isn't), and so it doesn't really let me set
> breakpoints.
>
> What tools (aka debuggers) do you guys use to debug DMD? Any free
> tools we can use to help find bugs? (Or is there some trick to getting
> Visual Studio to debug this?)

Try VisualD:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald

The latest version was crashing my visual studio, but that might be my
unique setup.  The previous version works fine.  It comes with cv2pdb to
convert the dmd debug symbols from cv to pdb format, and also with Mago
which lets you display D arrays (including strings) in the debugger.